With the end of summer rapidly approaching, many of you guys may have started to notice the ends of your hair becoming dry. The Pinterest lover in you searches 'DIY Hair Masks', you find yourself in the kitchen making a giant concoction of the ingredients you just read. We're here to help you understand how different types of hair mask work and proper ways to use them.
How to apply a hair mask:
Always use the treatment after shampooing. Using shampoo first will break down any build up in the hair, allowing the mask to fully penetrate and focus on the areas that need the extra love.
Only apply mask from the mid to ends of the hair. Normally the only part of your hair that will need extra attention will be from the midshaft down. Doing so will allow your hair to still have body in the roots the next day!
Comb the product through thoroughly. Doing this will allow the product to have an even consistency all over, leaving no spot over or under moisturized.
How long should the treatment be left on?
Next is the tricky part, everyone thinks the only way a mask is beneficial is to sleep over night with the product in the hair, that's not the case. Depending on your hairs texture and level of damage will change the type of treatment and time of the treatment.
(Argan Oil Restorative Hair Mask)
- Leaving the treatment on for 5 minutes if you have fine, or not so damaged hair that just needs a pick me up. Leave the treatment on for up to 10 minutes if you have thick, over processed hair.
- Do not leave on the hair for any longer than 10 minutes. When using protein treatments leaving the product on longer can actually make the hair more damaged and give it that "fresh spaghetti" feel.
- Treatments are only beneficial for the first 20 minutes, there is no harm in leaving the product on for longer periods of time.
- Products should be used after shampooing and conditioning the hair.
- Products can be beneficial for smoothing during blow drying.
(Healing Oil/ French Argan Oil)
30 minutes- over night
- Focus oils on the ends of your hair only, this will prevent the roots of your hair from being too heavy to style.
- Product can be mixed with a shampoo for a quick smooth look.
- Product can be slept in over night for full benefit and shampooed out in the morning.
For any more questions feel free to walk in and ask a stylist which treatment would be best for your hair, and keep an eye out for product being sold online COMING SOON! -XO MCS staff.
Follow us on social media and keep up to date with us!